The mission of Rotary International is to provide service to others, promote integrity, and advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace through its fellowship of business, professional, and community leaders.
Rotary is a worldwide organization of more than 1.2 million business, professional, and community leaders. Members of Rotary clubs, known as Rotarians, provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world.
There are 33,000 Rotary clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas. Clubs are nonpolitical, nonreligious, and open to all cultures, races, and creeds. The Foundation is a not-for-profit corporation supported solely by voluntary contributions from Rotarians and friends of the Foundation who share its vision of a better world.
The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
FIRST. The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
SECOND. High ethical standards in business and professions, the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations, and the dignifying of each Rotarian's occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
THIRD. The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian's personal, business, and community life;
FOURTH. The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
ROTARY'S FIVE AVENUES OF SERVICE
Based on the Object of Rotary, the FIVE Avenues of Service are Rotary’s philosophical cornerstone and the foundation on which club activity is based:
* CLUB SERVICE focuses on strengthening fellowship and ensuring the effective functioning of the club.
* VOCATIONAL SERVICE encourages Rotarians to serve others through their vocations and to practice high ethical standards.
* COMMUNITY SERVICE covers the projects and activities the club undertakes to improve life in its community.
* INTERNATIONAL SERVICE encompasses actions taken to expand Rotary’s humanitarian reach around the globe and to promote world understanding and peace.
* YOUTH SERVICES recognizes the positive change implemented by youth and young adults through leadership development activities, service projects, and exchange programs.